Puritan Ice – Becomes Blythe Ice
Written by admin on December 8th, 2012
Puritan Ice entered into “the desert deal” in 1944. They iced the melon and vegetable shipments and supplied Patton’s Desert Training Center. And they expanded…
Don’t forget to buy the book, The Puritan Ice Companies: The Ice Empire of California’s Central Coast.
And check out images from other regions where Puritan flourished.
Blythe Ice circa 1945. Cock-eyed family photo from the Phillip’s collection.
Donald Dalzell circa 1945.
Sidney Grande and Sidney Jr. Sr. ran the ice plant. Later Sid Jr. took over.
Sidney Grande Sr. on the Blythe Ice loading platform circa 1950.
One of the logos for Patton’s Desert Training Center. 1944-46.
End of the war iced vegetables scheme: air freight via USAF.
1958 Palo Verde Equipment, one of many Puritan Companies.
1984 Palo Verde Equipment.
1994 USGS aerial of the Blythe Ice site.
2010 aerial with callouts on buildings remaining on site. Property is now owned by Fisher Ranch.
2010 aerial detail with callouts.
Blythe Ice as it looked in 2010.
Check out Blythe Ice as it looked in 2010.
Return to the Puritan Ice home page.